Sunday, September 27, 2009

Experimenting with Mother Nature

While an Etsy update is still pending, I did update my Gallery (look over there -->) with the September yarn and fibre photos.  I've also added, and will show below, some of my Nature Dyeing exercises from the OHS class this past summer.

I have to hand in a detailed assessment of this, but here are a couple of photos of what you can do with wild-gathered weeds and berries.

First, a batch of samples dyed with Elderberries:


Left to right, the different treatments are:

  1. Pre-mordant with Oxalic Acid
  2. In-Pot mordant with Tin and Cream of Tartar
  3. In-pot mordant with Copper, citric acid rinse
  4. In-pot mordant with Copper, ammonia rinse
  5. Post- mordant with Alum and Cream of Tartar






And, a batch dyed with Goldenrod flowers:


Left to right again, the treatments are:

  1. Pre-mordant with Oxalic Acid
  2. In-pot mordant with Copper, citric acid rinse
  3. Post-mordant w/Alum and Cream of Tartar
  4. In-pot mordant with Iron
Though not many of these are "my colours", and the one I thought I'd like because the dye bath turned royal purple is still pretty brown, I'm impressed with the range here.  While samples have to be mounted and handed in, I think I'm going to come up with some sort of stranded work to show these off together.

These were all done yesterday with a classmate.  I spent today mucking around with the spent dyebaths, and have some fainter colours on full-size hanks of yarn.  The Goldenrod exhaust produced greens, and the elderberry started with a purple that browned down to a mauve, and ended with a pale green as well.

3 comments:

Teresa said...

My one attempt at dyeing was with copper and blackthorne. I wasn't happy with the result and have been meaning to overdye it. So I am glad it worked out for you. I have a book of Ontario natural dyes if you want to borrow it some time

DeltaDawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeltaDawn said...

I deleted that comment because it was full of typos...

I said: So beautiful! My mom the hippie took a dye class in the 70s and sent me her samples recently - very similar colors. I know she used goldenrod, which was in abundance at our house in the woods in PA, as well as pokeberries, which I've tried recently. Your yarns are lovely - I think I'll hang around a while.